Monday, July 1, 2013

A New Way Of Dreaming

The other day I was laying down and started thinking, "Man I wish I can add some Jazz to my boring bed". That one little thought started my project called " A New Way of Dreaming ". I decided that I wanted to turn my drab Ikea MALM bed into my own Custom Upholstered padded headboard. The only problem was that I had no clue how. I decided to hit up World Wide Web in search of some type of video, comment, or blog that can possibly give me any direction in which I can go: and I did. I stumbled across a site called Ikeahackers where they had a post from 2010, the blogger had the same MALM bed as I do. Using that as my inspirations and tweaking it to fit my needs, I went to the fabric store and picked out the fabric I wanted to use for my headboard along with cushion and batting. Then I headed to Home Depot where I purchased some plywood and other assortments of wood to support the new and old headboard. Within a few hours of putting everything together I finally got the bed I wanted...Now to match everything else in my room to it.


                                          Before: Masculine and boring

Attaching support so plywood does not tip over
Front of NEW headboard
                     Back of headboard with support to hold plywood and previous headboard
                   
Added Foam and Batting


Finally I ended up with this amazingly plush extra tall custom headboard that I can rest my back and head on without any worries, all for less than $60. Heres a close up of the fabric detailing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment